RaNt

Saturday, August 09, 2008

Beijing Olympics

08/08/08
8:08 pm

Beijing Olympics opening ceremony

I stayed up till the late hours of the night just to watch the opening ceremony and I can certainly say it was totally worth it. Since gaining consciousness, I have never missed an Olympic opening ceremony and I can say (although with some bias of course) that Beijing's was by far the most elegant, extravagant and definitely most elaborate opening ceremony that I have ever watched. It certainly surpassed Athen's exciting light effects and even Sydney's fireworks. Barcelona's did not really compare so nothing worth mentioning there. (I'm sorry but the flaming arrow really scared me)
But I supposed it lacked the emotional aspect that Atlanta have in theirs. They certainly don't have a Muhammad Ali but hey they've got Yao Ming..haha. Also the olympic torch lighting was a bit anticlimactic. As compared to the previous torch lighting, Beijing's was a bit dull. I guess Sydney's was still the best on that aspect.
But overall I believe that Beijing was the best so far. Such a display of human talent, artistic architecture and technology superiority would certainly be hard to beat. I sooo love watching the opening ceremony!!! It was enjoyable and not at all boring.
=)

08/09/08
Day 1
Watched weightlifting, volleyball, boxing,judo and swimming

China deserved the gold in the 48kg Women's weightlifting event
Italy was great in volleyball
I pity the man from Samui for being knocked unconscious in boxing
I was totally in accordance with Argentina's coach in protesting the point
given to Korea's Pak Ok Song instead of to Pareto--that was a counterattack
move you idiots!
And Phelps! *sigh*
all I can say is --still no doubt the best swimmer!
But oh how I miss Thorpe. The relay would not be as exciting as it used to
without Phelps and Thorpe competing against each other. Australia vs. US
in the relay would not be the same without him there.
I was watching out for Thorpe on the medley or even on the freestyle event
but I didn't see him. It turns out he stopped competing last year. According
to the news it was because of "lack of motivation" whatever that means.

I also learned that we ranked somewhere in the 30s on the shooting
and archery event and that Tanamor would compete on Aug 13.
Molina would be competing tom for the breaststroke event, though I'm not
really sure.
Better check the schedule now..hehe..so
zaijian!
=)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
HTML Counter
Hit Counters